Sunday, 24 July 2011

Bad News

Everyone by now has heard about the tragedy in Oslo.  What a mad man!.   The shocking news that unfolded was unbelievable.  First the bomb and then the Island with all those young people there.  The young people’s account of their ordeal was now being told on TV and was said with such dignity and it seems, without remorse.  What a tear-jerker!  A young man who was shot in the shoulder at point-blank range told the interviewer how he played dead to survive.  He then jumped into the sea and started swimming and was one of the lucky ones to survive.  So what now I ask myself…..90 people dead or more and still some people missing. I must admit, I wondered why there wasn’t a police presence on the Island with so many young people there discussing politics.  So many questions to be answered.   I am not going to go into every detail about this incident.  The killer has written a 1,500 page manifesto which reflects his thinking and it will be discussed tomorrow in court. It makes me feel sick inside that he could be so barbarous and brutal.   I pray for the people of Oslo and hope that they know that the world is united with them as this horrible news unfolds.  
I must also mention Amy Winehouse.  I think her early death was inevitable……although others might not think the same.  The 27 club is the name for a group of influential artists/singers who died at the age of 27 and Amy has been added to the list which includes Brian Jones, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison and Kurt Cobain.  Wow!   I am old enough to remember these amazing artists.  It’s a shame that Amy didn’t want to overcome her drug and drink addiction, and that the ‘Music Industry’ stood and watched this happen.   Something must be done in the future with young artists like Amy.  The ‘Music Industry’ and Government need to talk!
I have read various blogs and messages about Amy Winehouse but I like the one written by Russell Brand who was talking about when he saw Amy on stage.  He wrote:
“Entering the space I saw Amy on stage with Weller and his band and then the  awe.   The awe that envelops when witnessing a genius.  From her oddly dainty presence that voice, a voice that seemed not to come from her but from somewhere beyond even Billie and Ella, from the font of greatness.  A voice that was filled with such power and pain that it was at once entirely human yet laced with the divine.  My ears, my mouth, my heart and mind all instantly opened.  Winehouse. Winehouse? Winehouse!  That twerp, all eyeliner and lager dithering up Chalk Farm Road under a back combined barnet, the lips that I’d only seen clenching a fishwife fag and dribbling curses now a portal for this holy sound. So now I knew, she wasn’t just some hapless wannabe, yet another pissed up nit who was never gonna make it, nor was she even a ten-a-penny chantuse enjoying her 15 minutes.  She was a fucking genius. “  {Russell Brand}
I don’t particularly like Russell Brand but agree with him on this one!
It is hard to see any young person leave this earth so young and I, like so many others, choose to remember Amy for her music.

24/07/11

No comments:

Post a Comment