Sunday, 13 February 2011

Valentine's Day

Valentine’s Day                 
Valentine's Day (so Wikipedia says)….. is an annual day  held on February 14 celebrating love and affection between intimate companions. The day is named after a Christian martyr named Valentine and was established by Pope Gelasius I in 500 AD. It was deleted from the Roman calendar of saints in 1969 by Pope Paul VI, but its religious observance is still permitted. It is traditionally a day on which lovers express their love for each other by presenting flowers, offering confectionery, and sending greeting cards (known as "valentines"). The day first became associated with romantic love in the circle of Geoffrey Chaucer, English Poet  in the 13th century, when the tradition of courtly love flourished.  Modern Valentine's Day symbols include the heart-shaped outlines, doves, and the figure of the winged Cupid. Since the 19th century, handwritten valentines have largely given way to mass-produced greeting cards.
Yeah Yeah Yeah….. What does Valentine’s Day mean now :  – a nice meal at a fancy restaurant (they usually charge x4 times as much as any other day! – Maybe being pampered with chocolates and flowers.  There are still some old fashioned customs around like in Wales you can give your sweetheart a love spoon.  In the 17th Century young men carved a wooden spoon to give to their intended.  If accepted ,  they became engaged and  the spoon would always be treasured.  In recent years this custom has been revived – so old fashioned romance is surely still alive and well.  In Slovenia, an old proverb says that "St Valentine brings the keys of roots,"  so on 14th February, plants and flowers start to grow. It’s a day when the first work in the vineyards and  fields commences.  It has only recently been celebrated as the day of love.   In the UK we send anonymous cards or a bunch of red roses to someone we like or love or to someone we don’t know but would like to know!! .   These 3 examples couldn’t be more different.
I once received, at work, which was highly embarrassing, a bunch (not bouquet) of the worse flower combination  I have ever seen in my life!  (Trust me…….I’m a florist and I know !!).   So if you are going to send flowers please go to a reputable florist or just give one decent red rose that actually smells fragrant. 
So what is February 14th all about?           It’s all about……… L O V E !    So what is Love. Wikipedia says    ”It’s an emotion of strong affection and personal attachment…..representing all of human kindness, compassion, affection.  In some religious contexts,  love is not just a virtue but the basis for all being.  ie God is Love, but love can refer to a variety of different feelings…like I love that dress, I love pasta. I love children”.  There is romantic love, platonic love (friendship). And religious love.   Love in it’s various forms acts as a major facilitator for relationships.  I adore LOVE and all that it stands for….. but does it have to be celebrated on 14th Feb?  What about all the other days in the year!   
Do you know what I love?  I love my man, I love my family, I love to love, I love travelling, I love music, I love singing, I love flowers.  I love walking on a beach, swimming, gardening. I love a glass of red wine, eating pasta and strawberries and (so I am told)….. I love talking!
There are many songs written about love…. here are a few of my favorites:
Can’t help falling in love  - Elvis Presley
Am I on your mind – Andrea Britton
All you need is love – Beatles
Love you a little bit more – Dr Hook
Groovy kind of Love –Phil Collins
I just called to say I love you – Stevie Wonder
I will always love you – Whitney Houston
I’ll do anything for love  - Meat Loaf
Why do fools fall in love – Frankie Lymon
So much in love – The Tymes
I can’t stop loving you - Ray Charles
So whether your celebrating Valentine’s Day or not….have a happy Monday and Lots of love to you all. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment