Thursday, 21 April 2011

My little notebook


I write everything down in my little note book and I want to share some of the useful and daft things I wrote down in the last month or two….I write things down as I think of them.  Silly notions in my head….a poem or useful hints I heard on the radio on ‘how to remove a stain’.  I have a shopping list started on various pages (that I forget to look at) with items such as, batteries and light bulbs (I always forget those as they now last 4 years!). I might write down a topic of interest for a Blog that comes into my head when on a bus or train (like 'should women wear trainers with a suit?' …....well…..I see it all the time up in London when I’m there……I'm amazed to see beautifully dressed business women wearing giant ugly trainers!!)….I digress…..I  sometimes wonder what I have wrote and why?   I have written someone’s address and directions on how to get there, written in shorthand…..that I can’t even decifer now!  However, the best bits are recipes I got from a magazine that I read in the Doctors, Dentists or Hairdressers (aren’t I good not to steal them!)

One of the recipes I wrote down:

Roasted Butternut Squash  Soup with Pesto
.5 kg (3lb) butternut squash
4tbsp olive oil
6 garlic cloves (4 whole, unpeeled, and 2 finely chopped)
4 sprigs fresh thyme
2 onions, finely chopped
1.5 litres (21/2pt) vegetable stock
For the pesto
1 large bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
50g (2oz) grated Parmesan cheese
150ml (5fl oz) extra virgin olive or avocado oil
Crème fraîche and crusty bread, to serve
Method
Preheat oven to 240ºC/220ºC fan/Gas 9. Halve the butternut squash, scoop out the seeds and roughly chop into large pieces (including skin). Brush with 2tbsp of the oil, place on a roasting tray and season. Cook for 25 minutes, then add the whole garlic cloves and thyme. Cook for a further 20 minutes, until the squash is soft and caramelised. Remove from oven. Meanwhile, heat the remaining olive oil in a large pan. Add the onions and remaining chopped garlic and cook gently for 10-15 minutes until soft but not brown. Leave to cool for 5 minutes.
Pour the vegetable stock into the pan, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Using a large spoon, remove the squash flesh from the skin and add to the stock. Squeeze the roasted garlic from its skin into the stock and discard the thyme. Simmer for a further 8-10 minutes or until the squash begins to break up. Place the soup in a food processor and blend until smooth. Return the soup to the pan and gently reheat. Check seasoning.
For the pesto, place the chopped parsley into a food processor with the garlic and Parmesan. Blitz until smooth. With the motor still running, slowly add the olive or avocado oil.   Season well with salt/pepper.  Ladle the soup into individual bowls and swirl in a spoonful of the pesto and a dollop of crème fraîche.   Serve with crusty bread.  ……It’s delicious!!
(I sometimes use Sweet Potato and Butternut squash …but I don’t roast them I just put in saucepan and cover with water and add vegetable stock, some herbs and a good shake of worcester sauce and of course…..lots of black pepper).

Yummy!!

I also wrote a list of things (in March) to do in April.  I haven’t done them all yet but one of them is to get on top of my paperwork and bills!!  I have shredded old bills/receipts and got rid of files…….because I now get paperless bills via an email. It’s great…..I love this particular technology because it gives me more time to do other activities especially when the weather is hot as it is now.  I also wrote down a note to ‘declutter wardrobe’.  I got a box and put all the clothes I haven’t worn for l year and will either give them to charity or have a bootsale if there’s enough stuff. You could share the bootsale with a friend or relative. (I think this is one of my better ideas I noted).
I also had a note to ‘Sort Photo’s’. I have so many photographs that I need to scan onto my computer but I rather like photographs I can pick up in my hand….you could also create interesting focal points with some of your favourite photos around your house rather than leave them on your memory stick! I like putting them into an album so I can look at them or pop a small album in my handbag when out with the ‘girls’ to show off the latest pictures of my grandkids. 

I’m always writing down websites to look at……here are a few:


A little notebook is very useful when travelling (obviously if you’re not driving) you could write down all the things you’re proud of doing, from helping others, to moving ahead with your professional life or reaching personal goals.  It might see you through a low point in your life. It might make you realize just what you have achieved and what you plan to do next.  You only have one life….and believe me….it goes so quick….so write that list…..put down your dreams, aspirations and …….chocolate recipes……

Here’s one I picked up from sitting at the Dentists….of all places!!!:    As Easter approaches…..make a sweet treat.

1)       Slowly melt 40g 85% dark chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (making sure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water).
2)      Stir in 2 tablespoons of hot water and mix well to make a thick, shiny paste
3)      Once cooled, mix in 4 tablespoons of fromage frais
4)      Divide the chocolate mix between two expresso sized coffee cups and put in fridge to chill
5)      Toast 1 tablespoon of hazelnuts in hot heavy dry pan for a couple of minutes. Leave to cool, then crush them with a pestle and mortar.  Sprinkle them over the chilled pots and serve……Delicious!

Happy Easter Break to one and all…..and don’t eat too much choccy! 

Oh!.... and did you notice ….that I didn’t mention the Royal Wedding!

Oh and Happy Birthday Alex!

21/04/11

1 comment: